28 January, 2007

Last few weeks at church

Over the last few weeks, my Senior Minister, Mike, has been away in India and Uganda. This has meant that, while he is still in charge (and in contact by phone) I've had a bit more responsibility in the church over the last few weeks.

There has been some good and bad. We've had some excellent meetings, although it has felt a bit like a rollercoaster at times. I preached 3 sunday mornings in a row for the first time. Which was great because I'm starting to feel comfortable with my preaching style, not umm-ing and err-ing or reading from a script.

I think that what i learnt about most was about dealing with things behind the scenes. There were lots of different situations that I had the opportunity to put some input into. Sometimes I felt a bit overwhelmed, especially on a Sunday morning after church when it feels like a million people want to talk to you. I have spent most Sunday afternoons asleep this last month.

We even got to have a proper day off on Friday. If you are ever in this area, may i recommend the Drake Manor pub in Buckland Monochorum as the lunch Alex and I had there was excellent.

Mike is home tommorow. I'm picking him up from Heathrow. I'm looking forward to hearing his stories, debriefing and getting back into the swing of things.

Btw. You may have noticed the 'Stop the traffik' campaign banner above. It is one of the campaigns that is celebrating the 200th anniversary of the abolition of slavery in this country. Have a look and support it.

Simon

No comments: